Monday, April 4, 2011

Comfort

So I recently learned of my close friend being newly diagnosed with breast cancer. She is the 3rd person in just a couple of weeks of my friends and family who have been newly diagnosed with some form of cancer. It's scary how quick these illnesses creep into our lives and rock our world. All I can do is send my loved ones Positive Healing thoughts and prayers that they will find the strength within to fight these cancers. What this news has also done is strengthen my belief in creating a natural healthy environment for my family as best I can. My family and I are worth sacrifices such as giving up sugar because of the dangers that it can cause. So as I process my way through all this information, I felt like I needed a bit of comfort food. So today's breakfast, well actually lunch, was Slow Cooker Oatmeal that I cooked overnight so that it was ready first thing in the morning. It was like waking up to a warm hug. 


Positively Me,


Diana


Slow Cooker Oatmeal


1 Cup Steel Cut Oats (you can get them in bulk food aisle of natural food store. I paid .99 a lb at Richard's Foodporium)
4 cups of Water
1/2 cup of Half & Half
1/2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
Slow Cooker Liner- Not necessary but made it alot easier for cleanup


Heat oven to 375. Toast oats in oven for 15 min to help bring out nutty flavor of oats. Line Slow cooker with Slow Cooker liner. Add toasted oats, Water and Half & Half and Vanilla. Turn Slow Cooker on Low and cook for at least 8 hours. Stir well prior to serving. This will make at least 3-4 servings. I added 1 packet of Truvia for a single bowl of oatmeal. You can use Stevia, Truvia or Agave syrup to help sweeten the oatmeal. If I have blueberries on hand I add them to my oatmeal. You can add whatever fruit or nuts you would like. Enjoy!! 










No comments:

Post a Comment