Saturday, June 4, 2011

Yes Soup For Me Please!

So I absolutely love the organic vegetable co-op that I am a member of. Lisa the owner and her family have become like family to me. Me, my daughter, My friend Sharron and her daughter Emily look forward to our weekly travels there on Saturday to get our fresh organic yummy vegetables for the week. There is always goodies for us to try. Since I've been going to the co-op, I have learned about new vegetables that I've never heard of before and have been experimenting with them at home. I love trying new things! 


Recently part of our co-op choices included vegetable bags with a recipe for various dishes. This week I chose two soup bags and made one of them tonight. It was so yummy! Of course I had to tweak it to reflect more of what I love in soup. I've learned to use what I have on hand, which lately has been a lot of vegetables. This dish could easily go vegetarian by eliminating the meat. So thank you Lisa for the inspiration for this soup. It was a yummy hearty family hit! 


Ingredients
1 ear of corn (cut off of the cob)
2 carrots
5 Yukon Gold Potatoes (you can use whatever potato you have on hand)
10 Purple okra (or regular okra)
1 Yellow Squash
5 Mushrooms
2 Green Onions 
1 Garlic clove minced
1/2 lb Ground Beef (I used Ground London Broil) You can use whatever meat you would like instead of beef.
4 1/2 cups of Beef broth
1/2 cup of Ketchup (I use ketchup that doesn't have high fructose corn syrup)
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (I used 1/4 tsp)
Salt/Pepper (I used 1/8 tsp of Himalayan pink salt)


Chop all of the vegetables into bite size pieces. Brown Ground Beef and drain. In soup pot add Beef Broth and ketchup and let it come to a boil. Add beef, veggies and seasoning. Add Salt, Pepper, and Creole Seasoning to taste. Simmer on low for 1 hour. Enjoy!!


Naturally Me,


Diana









No comments:

Post a Comment